The dose-fractionation sensitivity of the kidney; assessment of viable tubule cross-sections at 19 months after X irradiation.
AffiliationDepartment of Experimental Radiation Oncology, Paterson Institute for Cancer Research, Christie Hospital (NHS) Trust, Manchester, UK.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThe formation of viable tubule cross-sections was assessed in histological sections of murine kidneys at 19 months after fractionated bilateral X-ray doses with 12 h intervals between fractions. The data were analysed using the linear-quadratic model which provides values of alpha and beta characterizing the slope of the dose-response curve, and the ratio of alpha and beta indicative of the sparing effect of dose fractionation. The tubule data were characterized by alpha = 0.057 +/- 0.009 Gy-1, beta = 0.011 +/- 0.001 Gy-2, alpha/beta = 5.0 +/- 0.9 Gy. Also, the number of cells (per focus region of the nephron) calculated as being capable of producing a viable focus was 2.5 +/- 0.5, which was confirmed using a separate two-dose approach (2.1 +/- 0.3). Together with other data, of the order of 1000 regenerative cells per nephron (10(4) total cells) can be deduced. The values of the fractionation sensitivity parameters are similar to values measured previously for cells taken from irradiated kidneys up to a year after irradiation and forming colonies in primary culture, and also similar to values assessed using various functional measures of kidney injury.
CitationThe dose-fractionation sensitivity of the kidney; assessment of viable tubule cross-sections at 19 months after X irradiation. 1993, 66 (783):241-4 Br J Radiol
JournalBritish Journal of Radiology
- Radiation injury in the mouse kidney--I. Sequential light microscopic study.
- Authors: Glatstein E, Fajardo LF, Brown JM
- Issue date: 1977 Sep-Oct
- Radiation nephropathy in the rhesus monkey: morphometric analysis of glomerular and tubular alterations.
- Authors: Stephens LC, Robbins ME, Johnston DA, Thames HD, Price RE, Peters LJ, Ang KK
- Issue date: 1995 Feb 15
- The RBE for renal damage after irradiation with 3 MeV neutrons.
- Authors: Stewart FA, Soranson J, Maughan R, Alpen EL, Denekamp J
- Issue date: 1984 Nov
- The effect of fractionated doses of radiation on mouse spinal cord.
- Authors: Lo Y, Taylor JM, McBride WH, Withers HR
- Issue date: 1993 Sep 30
- Radiation-induced kidney injury: a role for chronic oxidative stress?
- Authors: Robbins ME, Zhao W, Davis CS, Toyokuni S, Bonsib SM
- Issue date: 2002