The expression of matrix metalloproteinases and their inhibitors by pig synovial cells and their regulation by combinations of cytokines and growth factors.
AffiliationCell and Molecular Biology Department, Strangeways Research Laboratory, Cambridge, U.K.
MetadataShow full item record
Abstract1. Pig synovial fibroblasts in culture were studied to determine if they were an easily reproducible model system for studying the actions of cytokines and growth factors on human synovial cells. The biochemical analyses were conducted by activity assays, enzymography and Northern blot. 2. Human recombinant interleukin-1 alpha, basic fibroblast growth factor and transforming growth factor-beta 1 were studied in combinations because of their known involvement in controlling tissue remodelling. 3. The response of pig fibroblasts to these agents, in terms of the expression of matrix metalloproteinases (collagenase, gelatinase and stromelysin) and their inhibitors (TIMPs), show that they behave similarly enough to human cells for use when supplies of human primary cells are unavailable.
CitationThe expression of matrix metalloproteinases and their inhibitors by pig synovial cells and their regulation by combinations of cytokines and growth factors. 1993, 106 (3):691-704 Comp. Biochem. Physiol., B
JournalComparative Biochemistry and Physiology. B, Comparative Biochemistry
- Matrix metalloproteinases and tissue inhibitors of metalloproteinases in human gliomas.
- Authors: Nakano A, Tani E, Miyazaki K, Yamamoto Y, Furuyama J
- Issue date: 1995 Aug
- Effects of immortalization upon the induction of matrix metalloproteinases in rabbit synovial fibroblasts.
- Authors: Lin CW, Robbins PD, Georgescu HI, Evans CH
- Issue date: 1996 Feb 25
- Discoordinate expression of stromelysin, collagenase, and tissue inhibitor of metalloproteinases-1 in rheumatoid human synovial fibroblasts. Synergistic effects of interleukin-1 and tumor necrosis factor-alpha on stromelysin expression.
- Authors: MacNaul KL, Chartrain N, Lark M, Tocci MJ, Hutchinson NI
- Issue date: 1990 Oct 5
- The differential responses of human skin and synovial fibroblasts to stanozolol in vitro: production of prostaglandin E2 and matrix metalloproteinases.
- Authors: Ellis AJ, Wright JK, Cawston TE, Hazleman BL
- Issue date: 1992 Mar
- Interleukin-1 and transforming growth factor-alpha: synergistic stimulation of metalloproteinases, PGE2, and proliferation in human fibroblasts.
- Authors: Unemori EN, Ehsani N, Wang M, Lee S, McGuire J, Amento EP
- Issue date: 1994 Feb