Early response gene signalling cascades activated by ionising radiation in primary human B cells.
AffiliationCRC Department of Carcinogenesis, Paterson Institute for Cancer Research, Christie Hospital NHS Trust, Manchester, UK.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractWe have used a panel of 13 protein kinase C-responsive immediate early gene probes to dissect the cellular signalling pathways activated by ionising gamma radiation in primary human B cells. Of these 13 genes, a delayed transient induction was observed for only 8: c-fos, c-jun, jun-B, jun-D, c-myc, ergI/krox 24 and two 'anonymous' genes, 3L3 and 19A. Expression of c-myc and c-fos mRNAs was paralleled by the appearance of their encoded proteins suggesting that these oncoproteins may couple radiation signalling to cellular responses. Of three protein kinase C-coupled transcription factors examined by gel retardation assay, (AP1, NF kappa B, EgrK/Krox24) only NF kappa B and, to a lesser extent, AP1 was stimulated in response to irradiation. These observations are not obviously compatible with a simple model invoking protein kinase C in radiation signalling in primary B cells and suggest that the pleiotropic effects of ionising radiation on this cell type are mediated through a distinct cellular signalling cascade.
CitationEarly response gene signalling cascades activated by ionising radiation in primary human B cells. 1993, 8 (12):3229-37 Oncogene
- Immediate early gene expression in dog thyrocytes in response to growth, proliferation, and differentiation stimuli.
- Authors: Deleu S, Pirson I, Clermont F, Nakamura T, Dumont JE, Maenhaut C
- Issue date: 1999 Nov
- Rapid effects of triiodothyronine on immediate-early gene expression in Schwann cells.
- Authors: Mercier G, Turque N, Schumacher M
- Issue date: 2001 Aug
- Induction of early response genes by hypergravity in cultured mouse osteoblastic cells (MC3T3-E1).
- Authors: Nose K, Shibanuma M
- Issue date: 1994 Mar
- v-raf confers CSF-1 independent growth to a macrophage cell line and leads to immediate early gene expression without MAP-kinase activation.
- Authors: Büscher D, Dello Sbarba P, Hipskind RA, Rapp UR, Stanley ER, Baccarini M
- Issue date: 1993 Dec
- Growth hormone induces expression of c-jun and jun B oncogenes and employs a protein kinase C signal transduction pathway for the induction of c-fos oncogene expression.
- Authors: Slootweg MC, de Groot RP, Herrmann-Erlee MP, Koornneef I, Kruijer W, Kramer YM
- Issue date: 1991 Apr