AffiliationDepartment of Cancer Genetics, Paterson Institute for Cancer Research, Christie Hospital NHS Trust, Manchester, United Kingdom.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractIn 17 of 50 cytogenetic studies (on chromosomal aberrations, micronucleus formation and sister chromatid exchange) in peripheral blood lymphocytes from a total of 667 workers in industries in which there is exposure to styrene, significant increases in the frequency of chromosomal damage have been reported when compared with unexposed controls. The positive or negative outcome of these studies is, however, unrelated to the extent of exposure to styrene. Furthermore, in the 17 investigations in which positive results were found, there is no convincing evidence of a positive dose-response relationship, in spite of the wide ranges of exposure and different methods of measurement. There are also serious discrepancies between findings on the chromosomal damaging effects of styrene in human lymphocytes in vitro and the types of damage reported in exposed workers. The findings are not consistent with the interpretation that styrene is responsible for the observed effects in workers. Several other chemicals identified in the environment of styrene workers have been reported to induce chromosomal damage in vitro and/or in vivo.
CitationCytogenetic studies of workers exposed to styrene: a review. 1993 (127):275-86 IARC Sci. Publ.
JournalIARC Scientific Publications
- Cytogenetic studies of rodents exposed to styrene by inhalation.
- Authors: Kligerman AD, Allen JW, Erexson GL, Morgan DL
- Issue date: 1993
- Studies of the induction of chromosomal aberration and sister chromatid exchange in rats exposed to styrene by inhalation.
- Authors: Preston RJ, Abernethy DJ
- Issue date: 1993
- A re-evaluation of the cytogenetic effects of styrene.
- Authors: Scott D, Preston RJ
- Issue date: 1994 Dec
- [Study of cytogenetic damages in peripheral blood of styrene exposed workers].
- Authors: Huang M
- Issue date: 1992 Sep
- Chromosomal aberrations and sister-chromatid exchanges in lymphocytes of men occupationally exposed to styrene in a plastic-boat factory.
- Authors: Andersson HC, Tranberg EA, Uggla AH, Zetterberg G
- Issue date: 1980 Dec