An immediate early human gene encodes an Id-like helix-loop-helix protein and is regulated by protein kinase C activation in diverse cell types.
AuthorsDeed, Richard W
Bianchi, S M
Atherton, Graham T
Santibanez-Koref, Mauro F
Murphy, J J
Norton, John D
AffiliationCRC Department of Gene Regulation, Paterson Institute for Cancer Research, Christie Hospital NHS Trust, Manchester, UK.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractTranscription factors characterized by the presence of a helix-loop-helix (HLH) domain play a central role in the regulation of cell growth/differentiation and tumorigenesis. We report here the cDNA sequence of a human early-response gene, designated HLH 1R21, encoding a 15-kDa HLH protein that lacks a basic, DNA-binding domain and which by a number of criteria appears to be the human homologue of mouse HLH 462. Like its murine counterpart, HLH 1R21 protein functions as an Id (inhibitor of DNA binding) transcription factor by inhibiting the binding of E2A-containing protein complexes to muscle creatine kinase E-box enhancer oligonucleotide in vitro. However HLH 1R21 does not inhibit the binding of HLH Max protein to a Max-binding oligonucleotide in vitro, indicating that it has limited promiscuity in its ability to antagonize the function of other HLH transcription factors. In addition, HLH 1R21 mRNA transcripts are regulated by phorbol ester treatment of a diverse range of human cell lines and, when overexpressed in mouse NIH3T3 cells, HLH 1R21 induces a morphologically transformed phenotype.
CitationAn immediate early human gene encodes an Id-like helix-loop-helix protein and is regulated by protein kinase C activation in diverse cell types. 1993, 8 (3):599-607 Oncogene
- Net (ERP/SAP2) one of the Ras-inducible TCFs, has a novel inhibitory domain with resemblance to the helix-loop-helix motif.
- Authors: Maira SM, Wurtz JM, Wasylyk B
- Issue date: 1996 Nov 1
- Activation of helix-loop-helix proteins Id1, Id2 and Id3 during neural differentiation.
- Authors: Nagata Y, Todokoro K
- Issue date: 1994 Mar 30
- Molecular cloning of ID4, a novel dominant negative helix-loop-helix human gene on chromosome 6p21.3-p22.
- Authors: Pagliuca A, Bartoli PC, Saccone S, Della Valle G, Lania L
- Issue date: 1995 May 1
- Interactions among vertebrate helix-loop-helix proteins in yeast using the two-hybrid system.
- Authors: Staudinger J, Perry M, Elledge SJ, Olson EN
- Issue date: 1993 Mar 5
- Synthesis and conformational properties of protein fragments based on the Id family of DNA-binding and cell-differentiation inhibitors.
- Authors: Kiewitz SD, Cabrele C
- Issue date: 2005