Expression of the Epstein-Barr virus latent membrane protein in nasopharyngeal carcinoma biopsy specimens.
AffiliationDepartment of Molecular Biology, Paterson Institute for Cancer Research, Christie CRC Cancer Centre, Manchester, UK.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractIt has been known for some time that the Epstein-Barr virus (EBV) is associated with nasopharyngeal carcinoma (NPC). The tumor cells are known to harbor EBV in a latent state. Latently-infected B cells that have become growth transformed by EBV in vitro express some 10 antigens, two of which (Epstein-Barr nuclear antigen 2 [EBNA2] and the latent membrane protein [LMP]) are associated with cellular transformation. We evaluated the expression of these two EBV antigens in NPC by probing tissue sections with monoclonal antibodies. We found that EBNA2 was not expressed and that LMP was expressed in seven of nine biopsy specimens. It is therefore postulated that either there are subsets of NPC or that LMP may be involved only in certain stages of tumor formation.
CitationExpression of the Epstein-Barr virus latent membrane protein in nasopharyngeal carcinoma biopsy specimens. 1993, 24 (3):239-42 Hum. Pathol.
- Comparison of in situ hybridization using different nonisotopic probes for detection of Epstein-Barr virus in nasopharyngeal carcinoma and immunohistochemical correlation with anti-latent membrane protein antibody.
- Authors: Brousset P, Butet V, Chittal S, Selves J, Delsol G
- Issue date: 1992 Oct
- Expression of Epstein-Barr virus-encoded proteins in nasopharyngeal carcinoma.
- Authors: Fåhraeus R, Fu HL, Ernberg I, Finke J, Rowe M, Klein G, Falk K, Nilsson E, Yadav M, Busson P
- Issue date: 1988 Sep 15
- Epstein-Barr virus infection and associated products (LMP, EBNA2, vIL-10) in nodal non-Hodgkin's lymphoma of human immunodeficiency virus-negative Japanese.
- Authors: Ohshima K, Suzumiya J, Tasiro K, Mukai Y, Tanaka T, Kato A, Kikuchi M
- Issue date: 1996 May
- Variable expression of latent membrane protein in nasopharyngeal carcinoma can be related to methylation status of the Epstein-Barr virus BNLF-1 5'-flanking region.
- Authors: Hu LF, Minarovits J, Cao SL, Contreras-Salazar B, Rymo L, Falk K, Klein G, Ernberg I
- Issue date: 1991 Mar
- The role of methylation in the phenotype-dependent modulation of Epstein-Barr nuclear antigen 2 and latent membrane protein genes in cells latently infected with Epstein-Barr virus.
- Authors: Ernberg I, Falk K, Minarovits J, Busson P, Tursz T, Masucci MG, Klein G
- Issue date: 1989 Nov