Proliferation of spleen colony forming units (CFU-S8, CFU-S13) and cells with marrow repopulating ability.
AffiliationCRC Department of Experimental Haematology, Paterson Institute for Cancer Research, Manchester, England, United Kingdom.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThe practicalities of gene transfer therapy using retroviral vector systems require both that host cells be as primitive as possible and that those cells be proliferating. Here, the kinetics of hemopoietic stem cells with marrow repopulating ability (MRA) have been studied with a view to defining the timescale over which these normally quiescent cells can be triggered into cell cycle. Mice were injected with hydroxyurea (1 g/kg) four times over a period of 26 h and assayed at intervals up to eight days for 8-day and 13-day spleen colony-forming units (CFU-S) and for generation of 12-day CFU-S in the bone marrow (MRA assay). The proliferative activity of these cell populations was measured by in vitro tritiated thymidine assays. CFU-S were reduced rapidly to 11% of normal and induced into cycle. Their number and proliferative quiescence recovered by four to five days. Cells with MRA reached their nadir after four days and only then started to proliferate. For each of these progenitor cell subclasses, the proliferative activity inversely reflects their numbers and indicates regulation by negative feedback processes.
CitationProliferation of spleen colony forming units (CFU-S8, CFU-S13) and cells with marrow repopulating ability. 1993, 11 (3):212-7 Stem Cells
- Effect of cytokine treatment (granulocyte colony-stimulating factor and stem cell factor) on hematopoiesis and the circulating pool of hematopoietic stem cells in mice.
- Authors: Drize N, Chertkov J, Samoilina N, Zander A
- Issue date: 1996 Jun
- Cells with marrow and spleen repopulating ability and forming spleen colonies on day 16, 12, and 8 are sequentially ordered on the basis of increasing rhodamine 123 retention.
- Authors: Ploemacher RE, Brons NH
- Issue date: 1988 Sep
- Hematopoietic stem cells in the hereditarily anemic Belgrade laboratory (b/b) rat.
- Authors: Ivanović Z, Milenković P, Vasiljevska M, Dekić M
- Issue date: 1995 Oct
- Marrow repopulating cells, but not CFU-S, establish long-term in vitro hemopoiesis on a marrow-derived stromal layer.
- Authors: van der Sluijs JP, de Jong JP, Brons NH, Ploemacher RE
- Issue date: 1990 Sep
- The effects of x-irradiation on hematopoietic stem cell compartments in the mouse.
- Authors: Meijne EI, van der Winden-van Groenewegen RJ, Ploemacher RE, Vos O, David JA, Huiskamp R
- Issue date: 1991 Aug