Expression of human papillomavirus type 16 E7 protein by recombinant baculovirus and use for the detection of E7 antibodies in sera from cervical carcinoma patients.
AuthorsStacey, Simon N
Ghosh, Anna K
Bartholomew, Jennifer S
Tindle, R W
Stern, Peter L
Arrand, John R
AffiliationDepartment of Molecular Biology, Paterson Institute for Cancer Research, Christie Hospital, Manchester, England.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractAlthough the presence of serum antibodies against the human papillomavirus type 16 (HPV-16) E7 protein has been linked with cervical cancer, currently available assays detect antibodies in only ca. 40% of carcinoma patients. The dependence of these serological assays on synthetic target antigens which present only linear epitopes may be a limiting factor. In order to produce a more realistic target antigen for use in serological assays, we have expressed the HPV-16 E7 protein in insect cells using a recombinant baculovirus vector. Two major E7 forms of ca. 18kDa and 16kDa were produced and characterised. The 16kDa component was shown to be truncated at the N-terminus. A radioimmunoprecipitation assay was developed for the detection of anti-E7 antibodies in human sera. This assay showed a marked increase in detection rate compared with a western blotting method based on bacterially derived E7 fusion proteins.
CitationExpression of human papillomavirus type 16 E7 protein by recombinant baculovirus and use for the detection of E7 antibodies in sera from cervical carcinoma patients. 1993, 40 (1):14-21 J. Med. Virol.
JournalJournal of Medical Virology
- Expression of human papillomavirus type 16 E6 protein by recombinant baculovirus and use for detection of anti-E6 antibodies in human sera.
- Authors: Stacey SN, Bartholomew JS, Ghosh A, Stern PL, Mackett M, Arrand JR
- Issue date: 1992 Sep
- Comparison of peptide enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay and radioimmunoprecipitation assay with in vitro-translated proteins for detection of serum antibodies to human papillomavirus type 16 E6 and E7 proteins.
- Authors: Sun Y, Shah KV, Müller M, Muñoz N, Bosch XF, Viscidi RP
- Issue date: 1994 Sep
- Antibodies against linear and conformational epitopes of the human papillomavirus (HPV) type 16 E6 and E7 oncoproteins in sera of cervical cancer patients.
- Authors: Nindl I, Benitez-Bribiesca L, Berumen J, Farmanara N, Fisher S, Gross G, Lopez-Carillo L, Müller M, Tommasino M, Vazquez-Curiel A
- Issue date: 1994
- Identification of seroreactive epitopes of human papillomavirus type 18 E7 protein by synthetic peptides.
- Authors: Krchnák V, Pistĕk T, Vágner J, Suchánková A, Kañka J, Ritterová L, Vonka V
- Issue date: 1993 Oct
- Multiple conformational epitopes are recognized by natural and induced immunity to the E7 protein of human papilloma virus type 16 in man.
- Authors: Malcolm K, Meschede W, Pawlita M, Koutsky LA, Frazer IH
- Issue date: 2000