Expression of human papillomavirus type 16 E7 protein by recombinant baculovirus and use for the detection of E7 antibodies in sera from cervical carcinoma patients.
AuthorsStacey, Simon N
Ghosh, Anna K
Bartholomew, Jennifer S
Tindle, R W
Stern, Peter L
Arrand, John R
AffiliationDepartment of Molecular Biology, Paterson Institute for Cancer Research, Christie Hospital, Manchester, England.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractAlthough the presence of serum antibodies against the human papillomavirus type 16 (HPV-16) E7 protein has been linked with cervical cancer, currently available assays detect antibodies in only ca. 40% of carcinoma patients. The dependence of these serological assays on synthetic target antigens which present only linear epitopes may be a limiting factor. In order to produce a more realistic target antigen for use in serological assays, we have expressed the HPV-16 E7 protein in insect cells using a recombinant baculovirus vector. Two major E7 forms of ca. 18kDa and 16kDa were produced and characterised. The 16kDa component was shown to be truncated at the N-terminus. A radioimmunoprecipitation assay was developed for the detection of anti-E7 antibodies in human sera. This assay showed a marked increase in detection rate compared with a western blotting method based on bacterially derived E7 fusion proteins.
CitationExpression of human papillomavirus type 16 E7 protein by recombinant baculovirus and use for the detection of E7 antibodies in sera from cervical carcinoma patients. 1993, 40 (1):14-21 J. Med. Virol.
JournalJournal of Medical Virology
- Identification of seroreactive epitopes of human papillomavirus type 18 E7 protein by synthetic peptides.
- Authors: Krchnák V, Pistĕk T, Vágner J, Suchánková A, Kañka J, Ritterová L, Vonka V
- Issue date: 1993 Oct
- Human papillomavirus type 18 E6 and E7 antibodies in human sera: increased anti-E7 prevalence in cervical cancer patients.
- Authors: Bleul C, Müller M, Frank R, Gausepohl H, Koldovsky U, Mgaya HN, Luande J, Pawlita M, ter Meulen J, Viscidi R
- Issue date: 1991 Aug
- Expression of human papillomavirus type 16 E6 protein by recombinant baculovirus and use for detection of anti-E6 antibodies in human sera.
- Authors: Stacey SN, Bartholomew JS, Ghosh A, Stern PL, Mackett M, Arrand JR
- Issue date: 1992 Sep
- Detection of antibodies to the E4 or E7 proteins of human papillomaviruses (HPV) in human sera by western blot analysis: type-specific reaction of anti-HPV 16 antibodies.
- Authors: Jochmus I, Bouwes Bavinck JN, Gissmann L
- Issue date: 1992 Aug
- Independent association of antibodies against human papillomavirus type 16 E1/E4 and E7 proteins with cervical cancer.
- Authors: Kanda T, Onda T, Zanma S, Yasugi T, Furuno A, Watanabe S, Kawana T, Sugase M, Ueda K, Sonoda T
- Issue date: 1992 Oct